The focus of the Master program in Biomedical Sciences (MSc) lies on the biomedical field (see Curriculum). All courses and lectures are being taught in English, the course structures are strictly modular. All academic and examination results are quoted as credits according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). Therefore an international recognition is assured.
In 2008 the program was successfully accredited by the German accreditation association ASIIN. This accreditation has been extended in 2014 until September 30th, 2021.
Start of the Course: Each Winter Semester
The attendance of the Safety Instructions is mandatory for all students! Otherwise a participation of any practical course is forbidden! The Safety Instructions are part of the Introduction Weeks (always scheduled in September/October).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in biological sciences, grade at least "good" (2.2)
- Special knowledge in: Molecular Biology/Genetics, Immunology, Developmental Biology, Human Biology and Physiology.
- Proficiency in English (TOEFL ibt minimum score of 79 and IELTS minimum overall band score of 6.0.). The original TOEFL score report has to be sent by ETS, our institution code is 7977.
Each application will be examined by the Admission Commitee.
Deadline for Application
March 1st for Non-EU students and
September 15th for German and EU students.
Please note that the deadlines for Non-EU and for German and EU students differ due to administrative and immigration actions necessary for joining the programme right in time (keyword: Visa, etc.).
Prospective students will have to apply through an online-based system. You will find the link to the online application system at the bottom of this page. The application deadline for international students from Non-EU countries is March 1st, each year and for students from Germany and other EU-countries September 15th, each year. Please keep in mind that applications which enter after the deadline, will not be considered.
Internal applicants should apply through the SIS.
Before you start entering your data in the online-application form, please make sure you have all documents required for application ready:
- Original Certificate of your first academic degree including transcripts and translation of both documents into either German or English (if they have been issued in a language other than English or German)
- Certificate of APS (for applicants who completed their first degree in China, Vietnam or Mongolia)
- For international applicants: Evidence of sufficient English language skills (TOEFL IBT: score of 79 or higher, IELTS: score of 6.0 or higher- English language certificates are valid for two years from the date of issue
- Copy of the first two pages of your passport
For the online-application, you will be required to perfom the following steps:
- Please click on the link to the online-application site.
- Now click on the link "Biomedical Sciences".
- Now please enter your personal data in the designated fields. Please note that fields marked with " * " are mandatory and information must be provided. Where fields are marked with " ? ", instructions or additional information will be supplied. On the left-hand side you will find a navigation bar to help you navigate the site. You are required to enter your data in the default order. Should you have failed to fill in one of the mandatory fields, you will not be able to access the next column. A mandatory field where no data have been entered will be marked red.
- When you have completed the data entry process the column "Checklist" will appear, where you must upload the required application documents.
- When all columns are complete and you have uploaded all required documents you will be able to send your application.
- After having sent your application, you will receive your personal user name and password. Please make a note of this information as you will need it to be able to track the status of your application.
- Once you have sent your application you will not be able to make any amendments or additions. You will only be able to upload missing documents.
After the application deadline has expired, the admission committee will decide on the award of places. In case your application is approved (you will be informed by email) you will be required to send in your original application to us. Please note that all copies of documents you submit must be officially certified for authenticity with the originals. In case your documents have not been issued in either German or English, you will need to additionally submit officially certified translations into either English or German. If you have completed the TOEFL as evidence of sufficient English language skills, please have ETS (Educational Testing Service) send your certificate directly to us. You will need to inform them about our institute number, 7977. Only after the verification of your original application documents will we be able to confirm the unconditional offer of a place of study. You will receive more information on this process at the given time.
- Time Schedule
- Examination Regulations (English)
- First Amendment to the Examination Regulations (English)
- Second Amendment to the Examination Regulations (English)
- Flyer of the Programme (pdf)
- Modulhandbuch (in German)
- Module Handbook (in English)
- General information for international students
Education, financial aid and accommodation
+49 2241 865-707 or -671
Office Hours: On appointment
Application and enrolment
+49 2241 865-132
Mon-Wed: 10am - 1pm
Thu: 10am - noon and 2pm - 4pm
Application / Bewerbung
The application system will be open from December 1st, 2017 until March 1st, 2018 for Non-EU students and
September 15th, 2018 for German and EU students.