Dr Christian Böber
Field of research
Social Protection and Health
- Social protection and health systems in developing countries
- Political economy of transformation processes in developing countries
- Technological change and institutional change, esp. related to agriculture, energy, and health
- Impact assessments
- Economic policy
Regional working experience
Sub-Saharan Africa, Central, Asia, and South-East Asia
- Energy Self-sufficiency for Health Facilities in Ghana (EnerShelF), Definition project, Client II Funding measure within the Framework Programme “Research for Sustainable Development (FONA3)” of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) - Co-PI for institutional economics project component and project coordination
- Social and Health Policies for Inclusive Growth (SHPIG) - Breaking the Vicious Circle between Poverty and Ill-Health. Are cash transfers and social health protection policies in Ghana and Kenya mutually complementing? [Funding organisation: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) - WOTRO Science for Global Development] (project support in econometric analyses)
- Hoogedorn, J. C., G. Audet-Bélanger, C. Böber, M.L. Donnet, K.B. Lweya, R.K. Malik, P.R. Gildemacher. 2018. Maize seed systems in different agro-ecosystems; what works and what does not work for smallholder farmers. Food Security, https://rdcu.be/3DUw
- Pavithra, S., C. Boeber, S.A. Shah, Subash S P, Birthal P S, and S. Mittal. 2018. Adoption of modern maize varieties in India: Insights based on expert elicitation methodology. Agricultural Research, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-018-0330-x
- Tesfaye, K., P.H. Zaidi, S. Gbegbelegbe, C. Böber, D.B. Rahut, F. Getaneh, K. Seetharam, O. Erenstein and C. Stirling. 2016. Climate change impacts and potential benefits of heat-tolerant maize in South Asia, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00704-016-1931-6
- Hellin, J., V.V. Krishna, O. Erenstein, and C. Boeber. 2015. India’s Poultry Revolution: The Rapid Growth of the Poultry Industry and Implications for its Sustenance and the Global Poultry Trade. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review Vol. 18, Special Issue A.
- Raghu, P.T., O. Erenstein, C. Böber, and V.V. Krishna. 2015. Adoption and Outcomes of Hybrid Maize in the Marginal Areas of India. Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture 54 (2): 189-214.
Books and Book chapters and other non-reffered publications
- Prasanna, B.M., B.S. Vivek, A.R. Sadananda, D. Jeffers, P.H. Zaidi, C. Boeber, O. Erenstein, R. Babu, S.K. Nair, B. Gerard, M.L. Jat, N. Palacios and K. Pixley (editors). 2014. Book of Extended Summaries, 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security. Bangkok, Thailand, October 30 – November 1, 2014. CIMMYT, Mexico D.F. and APAARI, Bangkok.
- Böber, C. 2012. The determinants of farm investment of Nepalese households: a case study on the relationship between credit access and the variation in productive agricultural capital at the farm level. Background paper: The State of Food and Agriculture 2012. Rome, FAO.
- Böber, C. 2012. China in Transition – Poverty, Income Decomposition and Labor Allocation of Agricultural Households in Hebei Province. Monograph, Frankfurt a.M. et al.: Peter Lang.
- Piotrowski, S. and C. Böber. 2010. Characteristics of the rural land rental market in China: A village level study. In: Beckmann, V., Nguyen H. D., Xiaoping, S., Spoor, M., and Wesseler, J. (eds.). Economic transition and natural resource management in East and Southeast Asia. Shaker Publishers, Aachen.
- Böber, C. 2009. Book review: Developing China: Land, Politics and Social Conditions, LIN, George C.S. (2009), Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture 48 (3): 293-5.
- Böber, C. 2008. Book review: Social Change in Contemporary China: C.K. Yang and the Concept of Institutional Diffusion, TANG, Wenfang and Burkart HOLZNER (eds.) (2007), Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture 47 (4): 355-8.
- Böber, C. 2008. Book review: De Facto Federalism in China: Reforms and Dynamics of Central-Local Relations, ZHENG, Yongnian (2007), Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture 47 (3): 278-80
Presentations and Posters at international conferences
- Böber, C. and S. S.P. 2015. Vulnerability of Maize Farming Households to Abiotic Stresses in South Asia: Results from India and Bangladesh. Poster: Tropentag 2015, Management of land use systems for enhanced food security: conflicts, controversies and resolutions, 16.-18. September 2015, Berlin.
- S.P., S. and C. Boeber. 2014. Trade-off and synergies between Agricultural Intensification and Ecological Sustainability in Punjab, India. Presentation: IEG-IFPRI International Conference on “Innovation in Indian Agriculture: Ways Forward”, 4.-5. December 2014, New Delhi.
- Hellin, J., O. Erenstein, V.V. Krishna, and C. Böber. 2014. The rapid growth of the poultry industry in Asia: Implications for research and development. Presentation: 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security’’, 30. October - 1. November 2014, Bangkok.
- Aryal, J. P., A. Keil, S. Ray, C. Böber, and T. Sapkota. 2014. Adoption of maize in the context of climate change and food security: evidence from Bihar. Poster: 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security’’, 30. Oktober - 1. November 2014, Bangkok.
- K.C., D. B., N. Gadal, A.R. Sadananda, C. Böber, K.B. Koirala, S.P. Neupane, B. Khatiwada, and K. Baral. 2014. Value chain analysis of community based maize seed production in the hills of Nepal. Poster: 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security’’, 30. Oktober - 1. November 2014, Bangkok.
- Sanga, U. and C. Böber. 2014. Factors influencing the adoption of hybrid maize and scope for the adoption of abiotic stress tolerant varieties in Panchmahal, Gujarat. Poster: 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security’’, 30. Oktober - 1. November 2014, Bangkok.
- Kumar, R., K. Srinivas, N. Sivaramane and C. Boeber. 2014. India poised to lead maize export in Asia: Need multi-level innovation in value Chain. Poster: 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security’’, 30. Oktober - 1. November 2014, Bangkok.
- Poudel, G., N. Teufel, C. Böber, A. McDonald, and D.K. Singh. 2014. Hybrid Maize for Food and Feed Security in Mixed Farming Systems of Western Nepal: An ex-ante Assessment. Poster: Tropentag 2014, Bridging the gap between increasing knowledge and decreasing resources, 17.-19. September 2014, Prag.
- Böber, C. and M. Zeller. 2009. Overuse of Agricultural Inputs and Awareness of Environmental Consequences – The Case of Hebei Province, PR of China. Presentation: Tropentag 2009, Biophysical and Socio-economic Frame Conditions for the Sustainable Management of Natural Resources, 6.-8. October 2009, Hamburg.
- Kühl, Y.,C. Böber, and J. Zeddies. 2009. The Water Dilemma in the North China Plain. An Analysis of Policy and Institutional Measures to Ensure the Future Use of Scarce and Polluted Water Resources. Presentation: 10th Annual Global Conference on Environmental Taxation Water Management and Climate Change, 23.-25. September 2009, Lisbon.
- Böber, C., Y. Kühl, and C. Rumbaur. 2009. Land Degradation in the North China Plain (NCP): Recent Evidence, Farmers Concerns and Policy Implications. Presentation Mini Symposium: 27th Conference of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, 16.-22. August 2009, Beijing.
- Kühl, Y., C. Böber, and Jürgen Zeddies. 2009. Water scarcity and water pollution in agriculture in the North China Plain: Strategies to ensure agricultural sustainability. Presentation: ERSEC International Conference 2009, Sustainable Land Use and Ecosystem Conservation, 4.-7. May 2009, Peking, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001857/185730m.pdf #page=279.
- Böber, C. 2009. The Use of Carbamide Fertilizer in Hebei Province: Farmers’ Practice and Awareness of Environmental Consequences. Presentation: ERSEC International Conference 2009, Sustainable Land Use and Ecosystem Conservation, 4.-7. May 2009, Peking.
- Piotrowski, S. and C. Böber. 2009. Inequality in a typical Chinese rural county: A village-level analysis. Presentation: 9th European Conference on Agriculture and Rural Development in China, 3.-5. April 2009, Leeds.
- Piotrowski, S. and C. Böber. 2008. Characteristics of the rural land rental market in China: A village level study. Vortrag: Workshop Greening Asian Growth, 29.-30. October 2008, Nanjing.