FAQs (Language Centre)

Below you will find answers to some frequently asked questions. If you cannot find an answer to a question you have, please get in contact with the Language Centre (see Faculty and staff) and we will answer your enquiry as quickly as possible.


Can I attend languages courses even though I'm not a student at the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences?

All language courses are primarily offered to students enrolled at our university as well as to faculty and staff. Guest students cannot be admitted to our courses.


I don’t speak (much) German, can I still attend a language course in, for example, Italian?

Depending on the level of the course, the language of tuition is primarily the target language, for example Italian. However, especially in beginners’ courses on A1 level, teachers often use German as a language for explaining grammar or cultural aspects.


The course I would like to register for is already booked. Can I still register?

If the course you would like to register for is already booked, please send an email to spz.info@h-brs.de. Depending on the demand for a specific course or level and our teaching capacities, we will try to organise a parallel section or an additional course at another time.


Which language proficiency tests does the Language Centre offer?

The Language Centre is currently offering three language proficiency tests in two different languages. For further information on test contents, test dates and registration please refer to Language Tests.

If you need to pass a language proficiency test in order to study at a German university, please find out in due time which language proficiency test is required. If you have any questions about studying at the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University, please contact the Student Advice Centre or the International Office.

Apart from the DSH (German Language Proficiency Test for University Admission) Examination, TestDaF (Test of German as a Foreign Language) and TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication), the Language Centre does not offer any other language proficiency tests; applicants for a Master's degree programme who need to pass an English language proficiency test (for example TOEFL, IELTS or a Cambridge exam) need to take a test at an officially licensed test centre:


Can certificates be sent by post?

Usually, certificates need to be collected from the Language Centre’s offices on either the Sankt Augustin or Rheinbach campus. However, if you cannot collect the requested certificate in person, mailing by post is possible if you send us the postage (1,55 Euro in stamps) in advance.

Please be sure to specify which certificate you require (the name of the course, the semester in which you attended this course as well as the name of your lecturer and the address to send it to).