First semester (November until March)**
Students spend the first semester in Germany where they interact with classmates and professors and have a chance to visit social protection institutions in Germany and neighboring countries. Every module has at least 3 sub-modules, which will take place consecutively, which means that every module is held in one week.
- Module 1: Comparative analysis of social protection systems (6 ECTS)
- Module 2: Social protection policy instruments & design options (8 ECTS)
- Module 3: Analysis for social protection design (6 ECTS)
- Module 4: Social protection financing & modelling (6 ECTS)
- Module 5: Research methods (5 ECTS)
Second semester (April until August)**
The second semester will be followed online and students have the option of returning to their respective countries or staying in Germany. This teaching environment opens a whole new learning experience for students.
At the end of the 2nd semester students start their specialization, where they will have class with external practitioners.
- Module 6: Simulation & evaluation (8 ECTS)
- Module 7: Social protection governance (6 ECTS)
- Module 8: Social protection management (6 ECTS)
- Module 9: Social protection reforms (6 ECTS)
Module 10 – Electives (8 ECTS)
- Specialisation on Climate Change
- Specialisation on Health
- Specialisation on Implementation of Cash Transfer Programmes
- Specialisation on Migration
- Specialisation on Old Age
- Specialisation on Return to Work
- Specialisation on Vulnerability
Third semester (September until February)
At the beginning of the 3rd semester all students meet again for a summer school to finish their specialization. They will also have the chance to finish up some of the coursework and discuss their proposal for a master's thesis.
Forth semester (March until August)
The last semester is dedicated for the master's thesis.
** These times are exceptional and are only valid for the winter semester 2020/2021.