Our approach to sustainability is distinguished by its interdisciplinarity and practical relevance. We channel the technical, natural scientific, economic, and intercultural competences of BRSU. The following competences in the fields of teaching, research, and consulting are allocated especially at IZNE:
- Sensitise, prepare, and educate students for future challenges as well as develop their systemic thinking (Education for Sustainable Development). Students become change agents and introduce their gathered knowledge into society. Long-term change processes can thus be initiated.
- Furthering students' employability by gaining sustainability related competences.
- Consult and support the conception and implementation of studies related to sustainability and development (e.g. NGO&CSR Management (MBA), Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Master of Arts)),
- Support and conduct interdisciplinary research and consulting activities with a focus on Sustainable Development,
- Initiate dialogue between actors from private sector, politics, and society especially in developing and emerging countries in order to facilitate solutions for global challenges,
- Link organisations and businesses situated around the business location and scientific landscape of the region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg.
- Function as a forum for discussion and consulting for students and departments of BRSU, and support the concept of Sustainable Campus.
Through these measures a snow ball effect is intended: Not only students spread ideas of sustainable development, but also other actors from teaching, research and administration.