Applications are open to all enrolled students of Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg
a) who have German citizenship
b) are considered German according to § 8 Absatz 1 Ziffer 2 ff., Absatz 2, 2a und 3 BAföG (in this context the exact wording of the law is binding, see here)
c) and non-German students enrolled in one of the degree programmes of the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg with the aim of graduating at the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg.
For non-German nationals, stays in the home country are excluded.
The home country is deemed to be the country in which the student has been predominantly residing for at least five years.
Minimum Length of Stay, Scholarship Period and Deadlines for Applications
The minimum length of a stay abroad is three months; this may be shortened to a minimum of two months for final theses. A bachelor/master thesis undertaken neither at a university, a research institute or a company can only be considered as an exception if the department fully supports the project and students provide a detailed time schedule, which will later serve as the basis for quality control. Grants can only be awarded once per study cycle (bachelor or master).
In the case of two-semester stays abroad starting in the winter semester, applications will be accepted for the first (winter) semester only.
The deadline for applications for a stay abroad beginning or ending in the summer semester
is the 30 November of the previous year.
The deadline for applications for a stay abroad from the beginning of the winter semester
is the 10 April of the same year.
Subject to fund allocation by the DAAD grants are available for up to 3 months and/or a lump sum
towards travel allowances for the following stays abroad that are recognised as part of the
respective bachelor’s or master’s degree programmes:
- Grants for a study semester abroad
Primarily at partner universities (a study semester at one of the partner universities of the Erasmus+ programme can only be funded if the agreed number of places in the Erasmus contract has already been filled).
- Grants for an Internship/Practical Period outside Europe
It is not necessary to have secured an internship place at the point of application. This information needs to be provided by 31 January for an internship starting at the beginning of the summer semester or by 30 August for an internship starting at the winter semester.
Internships for which specific DAAD internship programmes can be used may not be funded in Promos. Information on this can be found at: https://www.daad.de/ausland/praktikum/stipendien/de/161-stipendienprogramme/#1
- Grants for writing a Bachelor/Master thesis abroad
- Primarily for stays outside Europe, in particular developing countries and threshold countries.
- Stay needs to be at least 2 months, a detailed timetable has to be handed in.
- Lump sum for travel expenses (only outside Europe)
Students who will not study at one of our partner universities must clarify the recognition of their courses with their department before applying for the scholarship.
If applicants already receive grants from third parties, the grant amounts may be adjusted accordingly.
The application documents can be submitted in German. Non-native speakers in English-speaking degree programmes submit their application documents in English.
The application must clearly indicate the country in which you will be implementing your stay abroad.
1. Motivational letter with description of the intended project abroad and detailed reason for application
2. Curriculum Vitae with photo
3. A reference by a department lecturer qualified to conduct exams (download available at this website). The review must be submitted directly by the reviewer to the International Office.
4. A comprehensive, up-to-date transcript of grades in PDF (correct term in the Student Information system is „Notenspiegel vollständig mit…“; please tick all boxes).
5. Print-out of your "Studienfortschritt" including average grade (named "Studienfortschritt" in SIS)
6. Valid enrolment certificate, if applicable, copy of bachelor certificate
7. Proof of proficiency in the language of the country or the project language according to the regulations of your department (proof in your transcript of records or a certificate from the Language Centre, please check exam dates at the Language Centre early.)
8. If applicable, details of the language ability in the language of the host country, if the project language is not identical with the language of the host country
Address and Deadline for Submission of Applications
Applications for the summer semester must be submitted by 30 November of the previous year.
Applications for the winter semester must be submitted by 10 April.
The application documents are submitted exclusively via the application tool Mobility Online. After completing the registration, please upload all necessary documents step by step and lastly confirm that the application is complete.
Incomplete or late applications cannot be accepted for administrative reasons. Applicants have sole responsibility to make sure that their applications are complete. Students will not be advised to supply missing documents.
Grants for the summer semester will be awarded by a selection committee called by the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg in December or in January. Grants for the winter semester will be awarded by a selection committee called by the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg in May or June.
Details of the selection process will not be communicated.
The applications will be evaluated by the selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Previous academic performance and language skills
- Quality of your study plans abroad in your motivational letter
- Letter of recommendation
- Social engagement and extracurricular activities