The Graduate Department at Bonn Rhein Sieg University was established on January 1, 2010. Founding director Prof. Dr Rainer Herpers has been the head of the institute since June 1, 2011. He is being supported by managing director Dr Rita Cornely since 2012 and by research associate Dr Barbara Hillen since 2017.
Since the foundation phase of the department 70 doctoral students have been graduated in all faculties that run their doctoral projects predominantly at this university. During this time 9 scholars have successfully completed their PhD.
The following milestones have been achieved since 2010:
- Development of a doctoral study programme based on the law on the future of universities in NRW (Hochschulzukunftsgesetz NRW),
- Development of places for academic exchange.
- Installation of committees and organizational structures
- Awarding of doctoral scholarships
- Cooperation with the Graduate Department NRW