Skip to main content

Registrar's Office

Leave of Absence

Here you can find information about leaves of absence

Students of Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences may apply for a leave of absence for a semester if they submit an adequate evidence together with the properly filled in request.

A student may ask for a leave of absence if one of the following reasons applies:

  • He/she wants to study abroad at a foreign university or language school
  • Practical period abroad that serves the objective of the study programme
  • He/she is not able to attend lectures due to serious health condition
  • Compulsory military service or alternative civilian service
  • Care for or nurse close relatives in need of nursing or care
  • Pregnancy
  • Childcare
  • Other important family or social reasons that prevent the student from atttending lectures

The request must be submitted within the period specified by the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences for re-registration and must be submitted anew for each semester. In duly justified exceptional cases, a leave of absence may be applied for by 30 May for the current summer semester and by 30 November for the current winter semester, on condition that the reason for the leave was not predictable. These deadlines are preclusive periods.

Students on a leave of absence for reasons other than caring for minors or nursing close relatives and those students who have a status of visiting students according to §52 (2) of the Higher Education Act (Hochschulgesetz - HG NRW) are not entitled to take examinations or to acquire credits at the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg Universtiy of Applied Sciences. This does not apply to re-sitting examinations that have been failed.

Students are entitled to apply for a maximum of 6 leave of absence semesters. Previously taken semesters at other universities will be taken into account.

Leave of absence due to childcare for children up to age 6 (who live in the same household) may be granted for a maximum of 6 semesters for each child.

Student who are on a leave of absence, are not allowed to get the semester ticket, except during a semester abroad (if it is recognized by the department as a practical term) or a practical term/period outside of NRW (region of North Rhine-Westphalia). Students performing their compulsory military service or their alternative civilian service are exempt from paying the semester contribution.

In the event of re-registration for the semester before the leave of absence has been granted, it is possible to ask for reimbursement of fees before lecture start.