Skip to main content

International Office

Erasmus Incoming

If you are studying at one of our partner universities and are interested in attending our university, please first contact the International Office of your university. They will provide you with information about the application procedure.

General information regarding the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg

The Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences (H-BRS) was founded in 1995. It is a dynamic and research-driven university with around 9,000 students and an overall staff of 1,000 including 150 professors. They are supported by highly qualified lecturers from the fields of academia, business and industry. The University has three campuses located in Hennef, Rheinbach and Sankt Augustin.

The following departments offer degree programmes:

  • Department of Management Sciences, Rheinbach
  • Department of Management Sciences, Sankt Augustin
  • Department of Computer Science, Sankt Augustin
  • Department of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Technical Journalism (EMT), Sankt Augustin
  • Department of Natural Sciences, Rheinbach
  • Department of Social Security Studies, Hennef

The academic year is divided into two semesters. Most degree courses start in the winter semester. Only Business Administration courses in Rheinbach and Sankt Augustin as well as Computer Science (Master programme) start in both the summer and the winter semesters.

a) Winter semester (WS): 1 September to 28 February

  • Lectures begin: end of September
  • Lectures end: end of January

b) Summer semester (SoSe): 1 March to 31 August

  • Lectures begin: end of March
  • Lectures end: end of June

Dates when lectures are held vary slightly from semester to semester and between the different departments.

Please note: Exchange students and first semester students should arrive in time for the compulsory Orientation Weeks of the different departments (mid September or mid March).

Lecture periods



Exchange students must be nominated by their home universities by 15th October for the following summer semester, and by 15th May for the following winter semester.

They must then apply to us by 30th October and by 30th May respectively. Please note that we only accept applications submitted through our online application system.

For more information, see Information for Exchange Students

The deadlines for applications for degree seeking students can be found on the website of the Registrar’s Office (Studierendensekretariat).

Visas, registration and residence permit

Most non-EU citizens will need a student visa in order to travel to Germany. The visa must be applied for before arrival at the German Embassy in your home country. The student visa itself allows for entry into Germany and residency for up to three months. Anyone who wants to stay longer than three months must then apply for a residency permit at their local foreign authority (Ausländeramt) in Germany.

Students must register at their place of residence within 8 days of arrival. Registration forms are available from the town hall (Bürgeramt) in the student’s city of residence. Students living in Bonn need to apply online for an appointment. Any changes of address must also be communicated to the Bürgeramt within one week of the move. Shortly before the end of your stay, the Bürgeramt should be notified of your departure.

In order to obtain your confirmation of registration (Meldebescheinigung), you will require the following documents:

  • A completed application form (Anmeldung)
  • Passport
  • confirmation of your accomodation by your landlord (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung)


We aim to continuously develop our curriculum and courses further. At the moment these include more than 30 degree programmes at Bachelor’s and Master’s level, some taught in German, some in English. In addition, visiting students can participate in the language and intercultural training courses offered by our Language Centre 

For those courses held in German, proof of good German language skills is required at the point of application.

Each semester, visiting students can choose from a variety of courses offered in English. Students are welcome to pick courses from the subject area which the Erasmus+ agreement was signed for. Please note that some courses might be subject to change.

Proof of sufficient English proficiency is needed for application.

Additionally, students from our partner universities have the option to complete an International Management Certificate

Language requirements

No test results required (reference in online application is taken as evidence of language proficiency).  Exception: Degree-seeking students, e.g. double degree.


The Welcome Center of the International Office reserves rooms for exchange students at the Studierendenwerk Bonn.


Information about the current semester contribution can be found on the webpage of the registrar's office (Studierendensekretariat).

The semester contribution includes costs for the SemesterTicket (VRS) and NRW-Ticket, which serve as a travel pass, entitling students to the free use of all train and bus services in the local network Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg (VRS) and also in the North Rhine-Westphalia-Region.

The recommended amount that students should have access to per month should be at least as high as €850. For general information on the cost of living in Germany please have a look at these websites:

Study in Germany

DAAD Website


Health Insurance

There is a general obligation to have health insurance in Germany. Health Insurance is mandatory for all international students before enrolment. Health insurance tariffs are available for students for the duration of their studies (until the age of 30).

1. There are health insurance agreements with all EU countries. Students from these countries should bring their home country EU health insurance card (EHIC) and submit it to a statutory health insurance company of their choice. They will then be exempted from the German compulsory student health insurance. The EU health insurance (EHIC) must be obtained from the student’s national health insurance in his or her home country before departure. It must cover the entire period of the planned stay in Germany. Otherwise, they have to apply for German health insurance.

2. Students from Non-EU countries have to have a health insurance that is accepted by German law. Either the students have obtained health insurance in their home country which is accepted by German law (unlimited coverage!) or apply for German health insurance.

Some German health insurance companies offer the possibility of online application.

The staff of the International Office will help you if necessary.

Welcome Centre

The International Office and the Welcome Centre are meeting and service points for all international students and guest academics at the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences. We provide advice and support before and during your study period at our university. You will receive all information relevant to the formalities required, search for accommodation as well as life in Germany and on campus.