Programme "Wege ins Studium" for refugees interested in studying at H-BRS

Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg, University of Applied Sciences is actively supporting refugees who are interested in pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. In Addition to several voluntary offers by initiatives of the university, there is now a central coordination point as part of the International Office, which will individually advice refugees as well as organize support measures for the professional and linguistic preparation and integration into a degree programme.

The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) coordinated programme "NRWege ins Studium", financed by the North Rhine-Westphalia Ministry of Innovation, Science and Research, will provide funding from 2017 to 2022 to integrate refugees interested in studying at the university.

The project is expanding the activities of H-BRS offered since 2015. Many students and employees of the university are engaged in computer courses, events organized by the departments, sport activities by the AStA, the "Studierwerkstatt" and German language courses which were in part also funded by DAAD programmes like Integra and Welcome.

Next to these continuously accessible voluntary offers, there will now be a specialized support program for refugees aiming at integration into the German university.

This programme consists of:

  • Personal advice about study opportunities or alternatives
  • C1 courses like DSH (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education)
  • If needed more language courses and study-prep courses
  • Workshops to improve study skills

The programme is organised in cooperation with the Language Center, the Central Study Guidance Office, the Registrar’s Office and stakeholders from the departments.

Participation in the courses is mostly free of charge for refugees.

Applicants are preferred who:

  • already have acquired language skills at the B1 level
  • live in the region
  • are interested in a degree offered by H-BRS
  • fulfill the requirements for admission
  • are recognized as a refugee or have a residence permit as refugee

Consultation and registration for refugees is offered at the international office (please write to