Skip to main content

International Office

Studying abroad

Studying Abroad
Studying abroad means engaging with different educational systems and cultures. Spending time abroad broadens your horizons, enhances your intercultural skills, improves your knowledge of foreign languages and – last but not least – is a great addition to your CV. The International Office provides information about the application process and all the formalities and preparations you need to deal with in order to study at the partner university of your choice.

Both Bachelor and Master students can study abroad. Time spent abroad can take different forms:

  1. Studying at one of our partner universities
  2. Self-organised stay abroad
  3. Shorter periods abroad (e.g. at summer schools)

1. Studying at one of our partner universities

H-BRS students can choose between over 90 partner universities in 43 countries for a stay abroad.

If you decide to spend one or two semesters at one of our partner universities, the advantage is that many organisational issues will already be solved for you. We support you throughout the application process and get in touch with your contacts at the partner university.

You don't have to pay tuition fees at many partner universities, while fees are reduced at others.

Places at partner universities are allocated on the basis of an internal application process. In many cases, studies abroad can be financially supported by scholarship programmes such as Erasmus+ or PROMOS.

At certain partner universities, it is possible to register on an international double degree programme.

It is also possible to write the final thesis for the Bachelor's or Master's degree at our partner univeristies.

Students with chronic illnesses or other impairments are encouraged to contact us in confidence. Together with the selected partner university, we will carefully examine your individual situation and discuss the best possible support options.

Please follow the link below to find out more about the application process, if you would like to study at our partner universities:

Im Ausland studieren mit Erasmus+

2. Self organised stay abroad

If you'd like to study in a particular country or at a certain university, or if you already have a specific plan in mind concerning your studies which cannot be implemented at any of our partner universities, please apply individually to the university of your choice. As a so-called free mover, you have the possibility to tailor your stay abroad exactly according to your wishes and aims.

The application process differs greatly from one country and university to the next. Most foreign universities charge tuition fees, which in certain cases can be very high. Because of this you should consider applying for a scholarship as well. 

You should also make sure beforehand whether the credits you will gain during your stay abroad will actually be recognized by your department.

Helpful tips can be found on the DAAD website.


3. Shorter periods abroad

Spending time abroad is exciting and a life-changing experience. Still, it does not always have to be for a whole year or a semester. Shorter periods abroad, e.g. a summer school or language course, also allow for interesting insights and experiences.


Summer Schools

During a summer (or winter) school, you are able to take part in a course or project in a foreign country during the semester break. These courses usually take one to ten weeks and are ideal for furthering your knowledge of a certain subject. 

In most cases you will have to finance the summer school yourself, but for some it may be possible to get financial support – for example the DAAD’s "Go East" (DE) initiative, which provides funding for summer and winter schools in Central, Southern and Eastern Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia.

Current announcements of summer schools at partner universities can be found in the International Office LEA group.

Language courses

Being able to speak two or more languages not only helps your personal development but is also a great qualification for future jobs. Learning a language abroad is particularly effective: your language skills improve not only by attending the language course but also by using the language in your everyday life.   

Many foreign universities offer language courses. This way, you also have the chance to get better acquainted with a university you are interested in. Private universities provide diverse offers and places at short notice while language courses at public universities are usually quite cheap. Many good offers can be found at language schools as well. 

You should keep in mind that searching for the right organisation and course will take some time. It is best to start researching and planning as soon as possible. Further information can be found on the webpages of Studieren Weltweit (DE) and the DAAD (DE).


Congress and Fair Trips

For doctoral students and members of the teaching and research staff as well as for master students, the DAAD offers funding for active congress and trade fair participation. Active participation is defined as the presentation of a lecture or poster or the conception and leadership of a panel. The prerequisite for funding is the application for participation in the congress at least 120 days before the start of the congress and an acceptance of the contribution by the congress up to 30 days before the start of the congress. A travel allowance, a lump sum for material costs and a subsidy for accommodation costs will be granted. Up to three persons from one university can apply together. Further information and the relevant forms can be found here:

Adventure Abroad



Sally Brammer

Sally Brammer

Coordinator Student Mobility (non EU countries)


Sankt Augustin


E 058


Grantham-Allee 20

53757 Sankt Augustin


+49 2241 865 9818
Foto A.B.

Angelique Born

Erasmus+ Coordination


Sankt Augustin




Grantham-Allee 20

53757 Sankt Augustin

Contact hours

Monday - Thursday


+49 2241 865 628