Skip to main content

Language Centre

FAQ Language Centre

The following section offers initial assistance with frequently asked questions (FAQ).

If the information provided below does not answer your questions, please contact the Language Centre office.

Courses offered

The courses of the Language Centre are marked with levels, what does this mean?

The levels indicated refer to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), according to which language skills are classified on a scale from A1 to C2 in the areas of reading, listening comprehension, speaking and writing. In order to achieve the greatest possible learning success, you should enrol in language courses the level of which are suitable for you; for example, a course at A1 level is aimed at beginners, whereas a course at A2 level or one at B2 level requires prior knowledge of varying degrees. Within a level there are further subdivisions, for example a course at level A1.1 is for pure beginners without any prior knowledge, whereas a course at level A1.2 already requires knowledge of the contents of course A1.1.

Can I take two language courses in one language at the same time?

Since the language courses build on each other, simultaneous attendance of language courses in the same language at different levels (for example, Russian A1.1 and Russian A1.2) is not allowed. You are welcome to attend a course at a lower level to revise your language skills, but you can only receive ECTS points for the course at the higher level (as far as this is provided for in the examination regulations of your degree programme).

If I have taken a language course at level A1.1, do I also have to take the follow-up course?

In principle, this is not stipulated but strongly recommended by the Language Centre. In order to best benefit linguistically from a stay abroad, for example, it is recommended to build a solid linguistic foundation beforehand. In order to improve one’s employability, it is also advantageous to acquire language skills on a level higher than A1.


Can I attend languages courses even though I'm not a student at the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences?

All language courses are primarily offered to students enrolled at our university as well as to faculty and staff. Guest students cannot be admitted to our courses.

I don’t speak (much) German, can I still attend a language course in, for example, Italian?

Depending on the level of the course, the language of tuition is primarily the target language, for example Italian. However, especially in beginners’ courses on A1 level, teachers often use German as a language for explaining grammar or cultural aspects.

I’m an international student and interested in learning German. Where do I find information on courses offered by the Language Centre and where do I register?

The Language Centre offers a variety of German courses on different levels each semester. The registration period for the courses starts approx. 5 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester and will be communicated to all students by the Language Centre. The courses vary from courses for beginners (level A1.1) to courses on C1 level. An overview of all courses offered can be found in LEA.

If you already have some knowledge of German, you may take the Deutsche Welle online test (free of charge) to get a recommendation which course level is best for you.

For further information on the registration procedure please see the page German courses for international students.

The course I would like to register for is already booked. Can I still register?

As soon as the maximum number of students for a language course has been reached, a waiting list is created; once the waiting list is full, it is not possible any longer to register for a course. However, experience shows that not all registered participants attend the first session of a language course, thus losing their right to participate. We therefore recommend to attend the first session of a course to find out if places become available.

As soon as registration closes, the Language Centre decides which courses will take place. Registered participants are transferred to the courses on LEA. Students who are affected by course cancellations or who missed the registration period can subsequently still register for individual places that are still available.

In order to take part in this process, please access LEA and select the course you would like to register for. If there is a vacancy, the respective teacher of the course will add you to the list of participants. If your request is denied, you will automatically be informed via LEA.

I have registered for a language course, but it does not fit into my timetable. Do I have to deregister from the course?

If you cannot or no longer wish to take part in a course, please deregister while the courses are still open for registration or if it is no longer possible, please contact us. In order to plan the language courses, the Language Centre needs precise information about how many students actually want to take a course and also students from the waiting list can take your place once you have deregistered.


I have registered for a language course but cannot attend the first session. Do I have to inform the Language Centre or the lecturer?

Yes, absolutely! Students who are absent from the first session of a course without an excuse will lose their place in the course. Therefore, please make sure that you can attend the first lesson or inform the respective lecturer via LEA about your absence before the first session.

How do I know whether a language course I have registered for is taking place or not?

You will only be informed if the language course is cancelled. If this is not the case, you can be sure that the course will take place at the time indicated.


In addition to the entry in the Student Information System (SIS), can I also receive a certificate for the language course(s) attended?

You can use the Student Information System (SIS) at any time to retrieve a transcript of records which contains, among other things, the most important information about the language courses you have taken (i.e. name, level, grade, ECTS and semester).

If you also need a certificate with details of the course content of the language courses you have completed, you can obtain a certificate upon request. Please note that the Language Centre only issues such certificates within a period of 3 years after the end of a course. Please contact the Language Centre's office providing specific details of the document you require (your name, title of the course, semester, lecturer).

Can certificates be sent by post?

Generally, certificates need to be collected from the Language Centre’s offices on either the Sankt Augustin or Rheinbach campus. However, if you cannot collect the requested certificate in person, mailing by post can be arranged if you send us the postage / postage-Code (#PORTO and 8-digit string, valid for 14 days) via Deutsche Post-App (1,60 Euro in stamps) in advance.

Please be sure to specify which certificate you require (the name of the course, the semester in which you attended this course as well as the name of your lecturer and the address to send it to).

Can I have certificates authenticated at the Language Centre?

No, the Language Centre does not certify certificates. Please contact the local authorities, who usually certify documents for a fee at the Einwohnermeldeamt (citizens' registration office). You can also have university-relevant documents (i.e. certificates that you need when applying to our university or certificates issued by the university) certified at the Examinations Office. Please note that this service can only be used for a limited number of certifications and that you should bring copies as well as the original certificates with you. If you have any questions, please contact the Examinations Office.

Recognition of grades

I have transferred to Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences from another university and have already completed language courses there. Will I receive credit for such courses?

If you have taken a language course at another university or comparable institution and passed examinations there, these achievements may be recognised. The application for recognition of academic achievements and exams must be submitted when applying for a place at the university; please note the respective deadlines of 30 April for enrolment in the summer semester and 31 October for enrolment in the winter semester.

The recognition procedure is carried out by the examination board responsible for the respective degree programme (in the case of language courses, the department may consult with the respective language coordinator in the Language Centre). In order to have courses and exams recognised, please contact the respective examination board in your department.

Further information on the procedure can be found on the page Application to a higher semester of study.


I need to show proof of a language proficiency test for admission, which English language certificates are accepted by H-BRS?

You will find an overview of English language certificates accepted by H-BRS below.  The information includes the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) level in English required for different degree programmes as well as the most common language certificates.

Please note that this list is not exhaustive. If you have any other internationally recognized English language certificate, please get in contact with the Registrar’s Office in order to find out whether it can be accepted for admission.