6 \\ Visa, Insurance, Housing

Applicants can ask for assistance with organizational issues, especially those lving outside Germany. Please contact the MBA Support Team (info@mba-csr-ngo.com) for support.
Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg

► 1. Applying for a Visa

To enter the country, you will most likely need a student visa, which you can apply for before your trip to a German diplomatic mission in your home country.

Students from other EU countries do not need a visa to enter Germany.
The same applies to some other countries. Information on visa regulations and a list of those states which are subject to visa requirements are provided on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. If the German embassy or consulate in your home country requires any confirmation beyond the admission letter, please let us know as soon as possible. Submit your application early enough! Visa processing can take several months and you won’t be able to enter the country without a valid visa. 

Make sure to apply for the correct type of visa! All visa applicants have to submit all their documents to German authorities (eg. German embassy, Immigration office) in the German language! You must apply for a visa „student applicant visa“ or a visa for studying purposes“ It is NOT sufficient to have a tourist visa or a visitor's visa! Tourist and language course visas cannot be converted into a student visa. With the wrong visa, you will be forced to leave Germany at some point and reapply for the correct visa at home.

Do you require a visa to enter Germany?​ Watch the visa explanation video to learn about the different visa types, application requirements, and procedures.


Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg

► 2. Finding Accommodation

Unlike in many other countries, German universities do not provide their students with accommodation. Students must make their housing arrangements. There is a variety of options in Bonn or near the campuses in Sankt Augustin and Rheinbach, ranging from dormitories to privately arranged flatshares. Finding accommodation in Germany can be difficult, especially while trying to rent a room from abroad because it is impossible to meet a landlord in person. One option, in this case, is to apply for a room in a student residence - but do this well in advance as space is limited!

We highly recommend that you apply for accommodation as soon as possible. If you wish to stay in one of the student dorms please contact the Students Union Bonn (in German: "Studierendenwerk Bonn") for details. A room in a student residence costs between 300 EUR and 600 EUR (plus deposit), depending on the size and living arrangement. One advantage is that the rooms are already furnished. The start of rental agreements is usually the first of each month and most places have a minimum rental duration of three months. Click here to submit your Online Application to the Students Union Bonn

Most students live in flatshares (in German: "WG=Wohngemeinschaft"). In this arrangement, each person gets their room in an apartment and everyone shares the kitchen and bathroom. The advantages of flatshares include reduced living costs and easy access to a social network. The rent will likely be between 300 EUR and 500 EUR. However, the rooms in flatshares are generally not furnished. Because flatshares are popular among students, it is a good idea to start looking for one early. There are Internet portals for this purpose, as well as blackboards at the university.

Renting your own apartment is generally the most expensive alternative. The advantage is having your kitchen and bathroom. Students can find rental options in the newspaper, through the blackboards at the university, or on various internet portals. Inexpensive furniture can be purchased at many charitable second-hand stores or on ebay kleinanzeigen.

For a better understanding of the commonly used abbreviations on the German housing market, please use the GLOSSARY and the ABBREVIATIONS as a small interpretation help​.

For the first days, we would advise you to find a short-term place to stay (for the first days or the first month). Once you are on-site, you can find accommodation much better. 

Cklick here to find out more on "HOW TO FIND A PROPER PLACE TO LIVE"


Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg

► 3. Arranging Health Insurance

You will have to take out health insurance before you arrive in Germany. By law you are not allowed to enter Germany without valid health insurance. Either for a university enrolment or for prolonging your stay (visa) in Germany, sufficient health insurance has to be proven. Besides, we strongly recommend all students to obtain personal liability insurance and accident insurance, where the return to your home country (in case of illness or death) is included. You will need to present proof of health insurance when you enroll at university and apply for a residence permit. Make sure to take care of your health insurance status before you come to Germany.

EU-Public health insurance policies which are valid in Germany:
Germany has signed social security agreements with these countries: all member states of the European Union, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia, and Turkey. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), any medical treatment you require in Germany is covered. The proof of the European Health Insurance Card is sufficient for your arrival.

Non-EU Health insurance policies which are valid in Germany:
Check your health insurance validity before leaving your home country. Private domestic and foreign health insurance policies from other countries may also be recognized in Germany. You should inquire about the details with your health insurance provider before leaving home. If your (public or private) health insurance policy from your home country is recognized, then you will need confirmation that you are exempted from public health insurance coverage when you enroll. In this case, when you arrive in Germany and before you enroll at your German university, contact a German health insurance provider in your host town and have them issue you a letter certifying that you are exempted. For this, our International Office works together with the “TK Techniker Krankenkasse”. Please refer to our contact:

“TK Techniker Krankenkasse” Insurance Company
Carina Klingenburg
Telefon: 0049 (0)40 46 06 51 09 - 153
E-Mail: carina.klingenburg@tk.de
Web: www.tk.de/vt/Carina.Klingenburg // www.tk.de/en

Bear in mind that once this confirmation is issued, you will no longer be allowed to sign up for German public health insurance for the duration of your studies!

Non-EU Health insurance policies which are not valid in Germany:
If your health insurance policy from your home country is not recognised in Germany, you will have to sign up for coverage in Germany. Our advice is to enter Germany simply with travel insurance and to obtain a proper health insurance only after arrival. A public health insurance policy costs about 80 euros a month until you reach the age of 30 or have completed your 14th subject-related semester at university. After that, the monthly premium jumps to 160 euros or more per month. Your health insurance provider in your home country and the International Office at our university are happy to assist you further.

It’s important to clarify your health insurance status before you begin your trip to Germany! In order to enrol and apply for a residence permit, you have to present confirmation of health insurance coverage.

To our international students we usually recommend MAWISTA, in case their own insurance does not cover everything. This private health insurance is especially designed for foreign students, visiting scholars, or language students in Germany. 

Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg

Contact our MBA Support Office for more information

If you want to learn more about the MBA in CSR & NGO Management degree program, please contact the MBA coordination office and ask for an individual conversation:

Apply for the MBA Program "CSR & NGO Management"

You can easily submit your application via the online-application tool offered by our University. Click the "Apply now" button below and get the right direction to our online application tool.

We are looking forward to receiving your application!