Direkt zum Inhalt

CSR & NGO Management (MBA)

Blocked Account, Visa, Health Insurance and Housing

Man at the airport in front of the destinations boards_Picture by Anete Lūsiņa on Unsplash

Preparation of your MBA Studies in Germany

Applicants who plan to study at Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences in Germany, have to apply for a student visa to the respective German mission abroad before traveling. Furthermore, admitted applicants have to make some organizational issues like searching an accommodation, making travel arrangements, organizing health insurance, and a blocked account. This website guides you through the to-dos and provides further information on where to find the respective information.

MBA Blocked Account Sperrkonto Info

Arranging a Blocked Account

Most foreign students must open a so-called block account to get their visa. This is to make sure that students have enough funds to pay their living costs here in Germany. The Deutsche Bank is one of the banks in Germany providing this service to foreign students. Here you’ll find all the information you’ll need:

  • Step 1: You need to visit the Deutsche Bank
  • Step 2: You will find three tabs: “More information”; “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Forms”
  • Step 3: Click on “forms” and fill in the form (which is in English)

Plan to have enough cash for your first days in Germany

After you arrive in Germany it will take about ten days to get access to your blocked account. Therefore, we recommend that you bring enough cash (about 1.000 EUR) to pay the semester contribution and your rental deposit.

You will also find a letter explaining what to do next, few points are copied here for your convenience; however, please double-check all information once again on the first page, when you will click the letter (Better make a copy to remember all the steps)

To complete the account-opening process, please check that your online application has been completed in full, and in doing so, take particular note of the following:

  • You must provide your home address and e-mail address
  • Print out two copies of the application form (one of the copies is for your records)
  • The application form to open an account must be signed in the presence of an embassy official
  • Hand in the completed application form to the German embassy in person. Please also bring along your passport and, if available, a letter of confirmation (copy) from your university/language school. The embassy will certify the application form to open an account and the copy of your passport

The German embassy then sends all of the documents that you have signed to the following address:

Deutsche Bank
Privat- und Geschäftskunden AG
Frankfurter Straße 1
04024 Leipzig

Please don’t forget to write your email address, so the bank can inform you once your account is open. With that information, you need to transfer your money. The bank will again send you the information that your money has arrived and you need to take that confirmation to the Embassy to get your visa. 

Let us know if you have any questions, we can contact the bank here in Germany.

MBA Info Krankenversicherung Health Insurance

Arranging Health Insurance

You will have to take out health insurance before you arrive in Germany. By law, you are not allowed to enter Germany without valid health insurance. Either for a university enrolment or for prolonging your stay (visa) in Germany, sufficient health insurance has to be proven. Besides, we strongly recommend all students obtain personal liability insurance and accident insurance, where the return to your home country (in case of illness or death) is included. You will need to present proof of health insurance when you enroll at the university and apply for a residence permit. Make sure to take care of your health insurance status before you come to Germany.

EU-Public health insurance policies which are valid in Germany:
Germany has signed social security agreements with these countries: all member states of the European Union, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia, and Turkey. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), any medical treatment you require in Germany is covered. The proof of the European Health Insurance Card is sufficient for your arrival.

Non-EU Health insurance policies which are valid in Germany:
Check your health insurance validity before leaving your home country. Private domestic and foreign health insurance policies from other countries may also be recognized in Germany. You should inquire about the details with your health insurance provider before leaving home. If your (public or private) health insurance policy from your home country is recognized, then you will need confirmation that you are exempted from public health insurance coverage when you enroll. In this case, when you arrive in Germany and before you enroll at your German university, contact a German health insurance provider in your host town and have them issue you a letter certifying that you are exempted. For this, our International Office works together with the “TK Techniker Krankenkasse”. Please refer to our contact:

“TK Techniker Krankenkasse” Insurance Company
Sarah Nettersheim
Mobile: 0049 (0)175/3807662
Office: 0049 (0)40/4606510-9820
E-Mail: sarah.nettersheim@tk.de
Web: Sarah Nettersheim Contact // www.tk.de/en

Bear in mind that once this confirmation is issued, you will no longer be allowed to sign up for German public health insurance for the duration of your studies!

Non-EU Health insurance policies that are not valid in Germany:
If your health insurance policy from your home country is not recognized in Germany, you will have to sign up for coverage in Germany. Our advice is to enter Germany simply with travel insurance and to obtain proper health insurance only after arrival. A public health insurance policy costs about 80 euros a month until you reach the age of 30 or have completed your 14th subject-related semester at university. After that, the monthly premium jumps to 160 euros or more per month. Your health insurance provider in your home country and the International Office at our university are happy to assist you further.

It’s important to clarify your health insurance status before you begin your trip to Germany! In order to enroll and apply for a residence permit, you have to present confirmation of health insurance coverage.

To our international students, we usually recommend MAWISTA, in case their own insurance does not cover everything. This private health insurance is specially designed for foreign students, visiting scholars, or language students in Germany. 

mba_in_csr_and_ngo_management_visa_banner.jpg (EN)

Applying for a Visa

To enter the country, you will most likely need a student visa, which you can apply for before your trip to a German diplomatic mission in your home country.

Students from other EU countries do not need a visa to enter Germany.
The same applies to some other countries. Information on visa regulations and a list of those states which are subject to visa requirements are provided on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. (click here to to the website of the German Federal Foreign Office) If the German embassy or consulate in your home country requires any confirmation beyond the admission letter, please let us know as soon as possible. Submit your application early enough! Visa processing can take several months and you won’t be able to enter the country without a valid visa. 

Make sure to apply for the correct type of visa! All visa applicants have to submit all their documents to German authorities (eg. German embassy, Immigration office) in the German language! You must apply for a visa „student applicant visa“ or a visa for studying purposes“ It is NOT sufficient to have a tourist visa or a visitor's visa! Tourist and language course visas cannot be converted into a student visa. With the wrong visa, you will be forced to leave Germany at some point and reapply for the correct visa at home.

Do you require a visa to enter Germany?​ Watch the following visa explanation video to learn about the different visa types, application requirements, and procedures:


Student dorm picture

Finding Accommodation

Unlike in many other countries, German universities do not provide their students with accommodation. Students must make their housing arrangements. There is a variety of options in Bonn or near the campuses in Sankt Augustin and Rheinbach, ranging from dormitories to privately arranged flatshares. Finding accommodation in Germany can be difficult, especially while trying to rent a room from abroad because it is impossible to meet a landlord in person. One option, in this case, is to apply for a room in a student residence - but do this well in advance as space is limited!

We highly recommend that you apply for accommodation as soon as possible. If you wish to stay in one of the student dorms please contact the Students Union Bonn (go to the website of the Students Union Bonn, in German: "Studierendenwerk Bonn") for more details and dorm application. A room in a student residence costs between 300 EUR and 600 EUR (plus deposit), depending on the size and living arrangement. One advantage is that the rooms are already furnished. The start of rental agreements is usually the first of each month and most places have a minimum rental duration of three months. Click here to submit your Online Application to the Students Union Bonn

Most students live in flatshares (in German: "WG=Wohngemeinschaft"). In this arrangement, each person gets their room in an apartment and everyone shares the kitchen and bathroom. The advantages of flatshares include reduced living costs and easy access to a social network. The rent will likely be between 300 EUR and 500 EUR. However, the rooms in flatshares are generally not furnished. Because flatshares are popular among students, it is a good idea to start looking for one early. There are Internet portals for this purpose, as well as blackboards at the university.

Renting your own apartment is generally the most expensive alternative. The advantage is having your kitchen and bathroom. Students can find rental options in the newspaper, through the blackboards at the university, or on various internet portals. Inexpensive furniture can be purchased at many charitable second-hand stores or on ebay kleinanzeigen, markt.de or quoka.de.

For a better understanding of the commonly used abbreviations on the German housing market, please use the GLOSSARY and the ABBREVIATIONS as a small interpretation help​.

For the first days, we would advise you to find a short-term place to stay (for the first days or the first month). Once you are on-site, you can find accommodation much better. 

Cklick here to find out more on "HOW TO FIND A PROPER PLACE TO LIVE"


Further points of contact

Fachbereichssekretariat Wirtschaftswissenschaften Campus Rheinbach




B 131


von-Liebig-Str. 20

53359, Rheinbach


Vorlesungszeit & Prüfungsphase, Montag bis Freitag: 10 bis 11.30 und 12.30 bis 14 Uhr

Freitag: 10 bis 11.30 Uhr

Vorlesungsfreie Zeit, Montag bis Freitag: 10 bis 11.30 Uhr