Social Protection (MSc)
The Master’s programme “Social Protection” offers an inter-disciplinary and in-depth study of social protection systems. Graduates will be able to analyze and reform systems that are effective, affordable, and flexible enough to meet future socio-economic challenges.
We want our graduates to
- gain deeper insights into the constitutive elements, driving forces, and instruments of social protection systems, covering low-, middle- and high income countries
- know how to use different methods of analysis for designing and re-organizing social protection systems
- have a solid understanding of how to institutionalize and sustainably finance social protection systems
- be comfortable using state-of-the-art management methods to implement interventions effectively and efficiently
- establish a network of national and international experts
Winter semester (September)
Sayanti Sengupta from India, Batch 2018 - Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre, The Netherlands
The own Handbook on Social Protection Systems is guiding the courses
Our professor for International Social Protection Systems, Prof. Dr. Esther Schüring, and Markus Loewe, Research Team Leader at the German Development Institute, published the Handbook on Social Protection Systems which provides readers with a comprehensive and globally relevant overview of the instruments, actors and design features of social protection systems, as well as their application and impacts in practice.
The content corresponds closely with the content of the course, supports it and forms the evidence-based foundation for many in-class discussions. Wherever possible, content such as expert interviews, quizzes and key questions from the multimedia version are used.
Graduates will have career prospects in a wide variety of sectors, i.e. as policy planners, managers, and advisors to
- government agencies
- social security institutions
- international (development) organisations
- private insurance companies
- and many more
Coordination Team - MSc Social Protection
Sekretariat des Fachbereichs Sozialpolitik und Soziale Sicherung am Standort Sankt Augustin
Kontakt zum Studierendensekretariat
Fachschaft Sozialpolitik und Soziale Sicherung in Sankt Augustin